- Queens College CUNY: Associate Professor of Education (1981-2009)
- Corlears School, New York City: Teacher and Consultant (1967-1984)
- Dance Performer/Teacher, New York City: Valentina Litvinoff, Judson Dance Theatre, Midi Garth Troupe (1961-1965)
- Vermont College of Fine Arts: MFA Creative Nonfiction (2016)
- Writers Institute, Graduate School CUNY: Fellow (2011-2012)
- Yale University, New Haven, CT: Visiting Researcher Anthropology (1990-92)
- New York University, New York, NY: Doctorate in Education (1981)
- Bank Street College, New York, NY: Masters of Science in Education (1971)
- Connecticut College, New London, CT: History of Art Major, B.A. (1960)
SELECTED ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS
- Literacy Learning in the Early Years: Through Children’s Eyes – Teacher’s College Press, Columbia University. Reviewed in the New York Times, the book is a descriptive research text written for teachers and parents of children from birth to seven-years-old about the significance of these years as groundwork for reading and writing.
- Word Play and Language Learning for Children – National Council of Teachers of English. As participant researcher, I documented how children master features of language as they play with word sounds and meanings.
- “Teaching as an Encounter with the Self” – Anthropology and Education Quarterly. Unraveling my teaching practices, I discovered my personal beliefs shaped and often biased my actions in the classroom.